Marketing products to wholesale customers in the B2B sector can be challenging. Wholesale buyers meticulously compare vendors in search of the best deals, considering factors like pricing, delivery, and product quality.
Fortunately, there are effective strategies you can implement to market to wholesale customers and help your business thrive. In today’s article, we’ll explore six ways to grow your wholesale customer base. We’ll cover everything from offline tactics to digital marketing techniques to help you attract wholesale buyers.
Ready to learn more? Let’s dive in!
1. Optimize Your Landing Page Design For Wholesale Customers
Your landing page is the initial touchpoint of your customers, serving as their first impression of your business. An optimized landing page can help you capture leads and guide prospects down the sales funnel.
So, what goes into making the perfect wholesale landing page? Consider the following aspects.
Firstly, you should emphasize the benefits of your wholesale offerings. For example, popular wholesale marketplace Faire offers a vast catalog of products, free returns, and extended payment plans:
Next, be sure to offer some social proof. Your prospects will likely want to see that your wholesale offerings have successfully resolved pain points for other customers.
For example, you might include some customer testimonials on your wholesale website. Wholesale Central demonstrates this concept well with its dedicated reviews page:
Furthermore, you should include Calls to Action (CTAs). For example, you might use a buy now button or ask your readers to click on links. Strategically placing compelling CTAs can prompt your prospects to engage, driving them toward favorable actions that support your business goals.
2. Manage Your Pricing On The Front End
Wholesale prices are generally lower than retail prices. Communicating this difference to potential wholesale customers is crucial to capture their attention. You can do this by managing your pricing presentation on the front end to highlight the value of your wholesale offerings.
For example, you might display wholesale prices on the front end of your website:
If you’re using WooCommerce by itself, you won’t have the option to do this by default. However, you can use our Wholesale Prices plugin to extend the functionality of WooCommerce.
To get started, you’ll need to have both WooCommerce and Wholesale Prices installed. We have a free version of our software that is suitable for displaying wholesale prices on the front end. Alternatively, you can upgrade to a Wholesale Suite bundle for more customizable features.
Once you have installed and activated both plugins, head to WooCommerce> Settings > Wholesale Prices > Prices. Select the Show Wholesale Price to non-wholesale users option:
Alternatively, you may want to enable catalog mode in WooCommerce. It can display products without pricing to increase interest. As such, it can push customers to engage with you and send them further down the sales funnel.
3. Send Samples To Prospective Wholesale Customers
One tried-and-true tactic in the wholesale marketing playbook is sending product samples directly to business decision-makers. This straightforward yet effective approach can grab their attention and increase the chances of turning them into wholesale customers.
To successfully implement this strategy, consider the following steps:
- Identify business decision-makers within your target companies, including business owners or purchasing managers.
- Select product samples that best represent the range and quality of your offerings and align with your customers’ needs.
- When sending product samples, personalize your approach by including a note or message that introduces the company and highlights the benefits of your products. Tailor your message to address the needs and specific pain points of your customers.
- Send a follow-up email or call them within a week to evaluate their interest and discuss potential business opportunities.
This approach lets customers experience your products firsthand, increasing their confidence in your offerings.
4. Reach Out To Retailers Directly
Directly reaching out to retailers can help you create a personal connection and lay the foundation for a future business relationship. When planning to reach out to retailers, consider two key factors: how to capture their attention and where to reach out.
Here are some methods to consider:
- Reach out via email to advertise your products. To increase the chances of customers noticing your email, consider personalizing your messages and using attention-grabbing subject lines.
- Use cold calling as a strategy to reach out to new customers directly. This method entails making phone calls as the initial point of contact. Conduct research beforehand and plan your calls strategically to increase your chances of grabbing your customer’s interest.
- Use social media platforms like LinkedIn or Facebook to connect with retailers. Consider sharing content, engaging with relevant posts, and joining industry groups to expand your network and build connections.
The key to stand out from the competition is to capture your customers’ attention. When reaching out, ensure that your approach and message are tailored to address the needs and preferences of your prospects.
5. Demonstrate At Trade Shows
Industry trade shows offer a valuable opportunity to showcase your products and engage with potential customers who are decision-makers in their fields. These industry events attract individuals actively seeking new products and deals, making it an ideal setting to make sales and build connections.
For example, the PPAI Expo is a famous promotional products tradeshow. It attracts wholesalers, distributors, and consultants from around the globe:
To maximize your chances of making a sale, you may consider offering free samples or special discounts. Additionally, you could demonstrate your products with interactive presentations. Using attention-grabbing strategies can catch the interest of new wholesale customers and convince them to buy.
6. Ask Your Existing Wholesale Customers For Referrals
Your existing wholesale customers can help bring in new business by referring your products and services to others. Satisfied customers are often eager to recommend your offerings to their network and spread positive word-of-mouth.
Referrals are effective because they represent social proof. In fact, up to 92 percent of consumers trust recommendations from people they know. This is even more important in wholesale businesses where the stakes are higher, and trust plays a bigger role.
You can start by asking satisfied customers to pass your details to prospects. If you have a good relationship, there’s a decent chance of gaining this referral. You could even incentivize these clients by offering discounted products.
Attracting a steady stream of customers is a challenge almost all wholesale businesses face. With so much competition in the market, it can be difficult to land and keep new wholesale customers. Fortunately, using these strategies can put you ahead of your competitors:
- Optimize your landing page design to attract wholesale customers
- Manage your pricing on the front end
- Send samples to prospective wholesale customers
- Reach out to retailers directly
- Demonstrate at trade shows
- Ask your existing wholesale customers for referrals
Do you have any questions about attracting new wholesale clients? We’d love to hear from you in the comments section below!